Schools across America are on summer break – which means family vacations and enjoying some well-deserved downtime. This slower pace also makes it the perfect time to schedule your child’s annual comprehensive eye exam– an important part of their yearly health check-up.
Did you know that 80% of everything children learn comes through their eyes? One in five preschoolers have vision problems, and by the time they enter school, 25% will need or wear corrective lenses. School and pediatrician screenings aren’t enough, either – they typically miss up to 75% of children with vision problems which are often associated with delayed development, poor performance in school and low self-esteem.
World-class athlete, entrepreneur, and mom, Laila Ali, knows first-hand how essential annual eye exams are to ensure healthy vision. She began wearing glasses at age 11 and her daughter started wearing them at just 5-years-old. During this tour Laila will discuss how correcting her vision helped her pursue her career and why an annual comprehensive eye exam is critical to a child’s overall health and well-being.
Think About Your Eyes is a national public awareness campaign in partnership with the American Optometric Association encouraging consumers to schedule an annual comprehensive eye exam and promote overall vision health. By visiting thinkaboutyoureyes.com, parents can quickly and easily find a doctor near them and schedule an annual comprehensive eye exam.
- Laila Ali is a world-class athlete, health & wellness advocate, host of Home Made Simple with Laila Ali on OWN, cooking enthusiast, bestselling author, founder of the Laila Ali Lifestyle Brand, wife and mother of two. The daughter of late beloved global icon and humanitarian, Muhammad Ali, she is a four-time undefeated boxing world champion, whose stellar record includes 24 wins (21 of which were “knockouts”) and zero losses. A two time Boxing Hall of Fame inductee, Laila Is heralded as the most successful female in the history of women’s boxing.
- Dr. Justin Bazan, Doctor of Optometry (OD), and owner of Park Slope Eye in Brooklyn, N.Y. Dr. Bazan is a recognized international speaker, with an emphasis on eye care practice management and eye care trends more broadly.
- You started wearing glasses at 11 – how did you and your parents discover that you had vision problems?
- Did your vision issues affect your ability to concentrate and learn in school before you got glasses?
- Your daughter started wearing eyeglasses when she turned 5 – how did you know that she might have vision problems?
- What would you tell parents who have not gotten their kids’ eyes examined?
- Studies show that many people are still overlooking the importance of making an annual comprehensive eye exam part of their annual health routine. Why do you think that is?
- At what age should parents schedule a comprehensive eye exam for their children?
- Why do children’s eyesight issues often go undetected?
- What are some of the most common vision issues among children?
- Where can viewers/listeners go to find an optometrist near them and schedule an annual comprehensive eye exam?
- Why should parents get their kids’ eyes checked before going back to school?