How Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Taught Me to Master My Mind, My Emotions & My Money
(with a Little Help from My Dad)
By Danielle Town & Phil Town
DANIELLE TOWN was miserably sprinting to keep up with student loans, mortgage payments, taxes, and grueling work hours to keep it all going.
After getting hit with the news that inflation was destroying her savings and that typical stock market returns would never get her to financial freedom, Danielle finally teamed up with her dad – financial guru PHIL TOWN – to learn how to invest so she could step off the treadmill and do what she dreamed of with her life.
After a year, Danielle discovered that investing was a practice of self-mastery that added to her life in countless ways and was well on her way to financial freedom. Danielle and Phil’s wildly popular podcast, InvestED: The Rule #1 Podcast, provides hundreds of thousands of listeners each month with tips and tricks for learning to invest on their own. Now, Danielle is on a mission to show everyone who’s afraid to invest that if she can do it, anyone can, with INVESTED: How Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger Taught Me to Master My Mind, My Emotions, and My Money (with a Little Help from My Dad) [William Morrow)
The practice is organized over the course of a year with a focus for each month, along with detailed exercises that support them, including:
· Overcoming fear: tips to get past your fear of losing money in the market and how to transform negative feelings around money
· Getting your heart into the game: how to vote for a mission with your money
· Evaluating the certainty of investments – how to suss out a company’s competitive advantage and the competency of its leadership
· Finding sales – how, even if you’re math-phobic, you can evaluate investments for a great deal
· Managing your risk – Phil’s “Expensive Errors Checklist” and cross-examination of a company
INVESTED will empower everyone who thinks that paying a money manager is the only way to effectively invest their money. Danielle, in spite of her pedigree, was as reluctant an investor as any, and this approach made her a believer and practitioner. With this book, new investors will benefit from both Phil Town’s unrivaled expertise, and Danielle Town’s advice as a novice who finally saw the light.
· Why did Danielle resist investing for so long, especially with direct access to Phil and all of his expert advice?
· If anyone at any skill level can successfully invest their money, why do you think people are so afraid to do it?
· What was it like to teach Phil’s life’s work to his daughter
· How are millennials when it comes to investing? Do you think they’re better or worse at financial planning than their parents’ generation?
· What is a good first step for someone who’s thinking of starting to invest?
· Is it possible to take on the investing practice you detail in the book, while also managing your career and other responsibilities, or is it a full-time job?
· What is the one thing you wish all of the hesitant people out there knew about investing?
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
DANIELLE TOWN is a corporate attorney with degrees in religion from Wellesley and Oxford, and law from NYU and the University of Colorado. After pushing her dad, Phil Town, to collaborate with her on their podcast, InvestED: The Rule #1 Podcast, so she could learn about investing in an interactive way alongside fans, she feels the fog has been cleared and she can make her own financial and investing decisions. Talking about investing with her dad empowered her to invest on her own, clearing the way for her to live a happier, richer life.
PHIL TOWN is a motivational speaker, investor, and the author of the number one New York Times bestsellers Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! and Payback Time: Making Big Money Is the Best Revenge! He cohosts InvestED: The Rule #1 Podcast with his daughter Danielle Town